Sunday 28 June 2020

First time playing (not running): Liminal

So obviously this was not the first game of Liminal I've been involved in.  I've run the adventure from the quickstart eight times now, and I've just started a second eight-week block at MK-RPG.  So I've seen a lot of Liminal from the GM's side of the table but until now I'd never actually played it.

The scenario we're playing is brand new, and the GM is none other than Paul Mitchener, the creator of Liminal.  Plus we were once again going to be streaming.

We're playing with the pre-gen characters from the core book.  I picked up Ygraine Green, a changeling with a mysterious past trying to figure out who she is.  It soon became apparent that she was part of the most dysfunctional group of liminals I can imagine, what with the paranoid wizard, the werewolf with anger issues, the former detective channelling Gene Hunt and the academic who appeared to have snuck in from the 1890s.  Ygraine seemed relatively normal in comparison.  I need to try harder next time.

We roleplayed our way through such seemingly mundane activities as having a cup of tea, going for a drive, and having a drink in a pub, with chaos ensuing at every turn, all with the supposed goal of following up on an anonymous note regarding suspicious werewolf activity.  And to be fair, we did manage to find what we were looking for, despite the many arguments along the way.

Normally I'd say something about the rules at this point, but I said quite a bit after I first ran Liminal  and all I can add having played it is that it's just as enjoyable from the player side as from the GM side.  Fast and uncomplicated, but with enough nuance to make it interesting.

This was intended to be a one-shot game, but due to some technical issues with the stream we didn't get as far through it as planned.  So we'll be returning next weekend to continue the adventure.  I can't wait.

You can watch the stream, technical issues and all, on Twitch, or you can wait for the cleaned up version on YouTube.  And tune in next week for the big finale where we will hopefully manage to stop arguing long enough to solve the case.

1 comment: