Friday 5 February 2021

First Time Playing: Out of the Ashes

Between Pathfinder 2, Symbaroum and Forbidden Lands, I'm firmly of the opinion that I have enough fantasy games already, but when Paul Mitchener, the creator of Liminal, shows up with one, I've got to at least take a look.

Out of the Ashes is a fantasy game set in the aftermath of a war against a terrible evil that's left the world close to ruin.  Characters will undertake quests to fight the remnants of said evil and rebuild their community.  The setting reminds me of Forbidden Lands, while the play style made me think rather of Mutant: Year Zero.

The system bears no resemblence to these Year Zero engine games, however, using a 2d10 mechanic that's a modification of Liminal.  Success is slightly harder to achieve than in Liminal, reflecting the very different type of game that's happening here, and the various methods for improving rolls all have some kind of roleplay hook attached.

But the important thing is whether it's fun to play, and I loved it.  You could look at the setting and system individually, but what makes this so good is that just like in Liminal, the two sides work together to complement each other.  Things like the skill list including Song, which backs up the importance of music in the setting.

Then there's the monsters, in the form of the Tainted, who are thoroughly creepy.  The main concern with fantasy games for me is whether it's just going to be a rehash of everything I already know from years of playing D&D and Pathfinder.  No; this game has its own theme and the corrupted remnants of what used to be humans fit right in here.

Naturally one of the first things we did (much like when Paul's GMed Liminal games for us) was to head straight for the pub.  Besides that we had two problems to deal with, one requiring planning and subterfuge and the other heading out into the wilderness to fight monsters.  This game has the flexibility to do both well.

I'm a difficult sell on a fantasy game.  I can't see me embracing this quite as wholeheartedly as I have Liminal as there are so many good options in this genre.  But to create a fantasy game that I find exciting and refreshing and want to play more of is quite an achievement.

Out of the Ashes is fully funded on Kickstarter at the moment, with just a few days to go.  Our Actual Play is available on YouTube now if you want to see what it looks like on the (virtual) table.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that sounds awesome... I'm even more glad I backed it now!!

    ReplyDelete