Thursday 4 August 2022

RPGaDay: Where would you host a first game?

I'm writing this in mid-2022 and covid infections are soaring.  Online.  I'm hosting online.  Discord and Roll20.

But there will come a time when regular in-person games become a thing again.  So what you're really looking for in a game venue is a decent table and not too much noise.  I'd probably go to the Olde England, a local pub that does real ales and nice coffee, doesn't play music, and has some decent size tables.  Unlike game shops, which will usually, and quite reasonably, charge you for table space if you're not also buying a bunch of collectible card game boosters or Warhammer minis, the pub was always happy to have us there as we bought lots of drinks, and that's the point of a pub.

The pub's also a nice neutral sort of venue.  Game shops are kind of weird to walk into for the first time, especially as a woman (many of us have stories) but a pub is a pub and a normal place to be walking into.  There's other people around.  You can even go and check the place out in advance if you want to.

My first game of D&D involved walking into a stranger's house full of strange men, and that's not something I'd generally advise people to do, and definitely wasn't something I was comfortable with.  While someone's house is generally my preferred venue for an RPG, a first game for potentially new players is something I would definitely take to the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment