Saturday, 26 September 2026

Concrete Cow 26.5

I arrived at the Old Bath House in warm sunshine and a gentle breeze, a nice change from a lot of 2026's conventions, and unloaded a few books onto the Bring and Buy table. It was a smaller turn-out than usual, but I did still manage to sell one book.

Game 1: Call of Cthulhu

Having sorted out all the handouts and props for Kane's Tone for previous events, I was determined to make the most of them. I was lucky enough to get the small meeting room, meaning that I was able to deploy both sound and light effects.

This was by far the most paranoid group I've had for this scenario, and I did wonder if we were going to get into a PVP situation (not unreasonable given the events of the story) but ultimately the need to prevent the end of the world prevailed, and with some very good dice rolls, disaster was prevented.

Game 2: Shiver

It was a tough choice for the afternoon games, and I was tempted by Pirate Borg, but ultimately I picked Shiver as the scenario promised the horror of working at the bottom level of a corporation.

I picked Bobby Briers, a new intern and eager to please her managers. Soon she was teaming up with the janitor, security guard, and health and safety officer, as an outbreak in the labs caused everything to go a bit Resident Evil. By the end we'd implemented good workplace health and safety standards, along with some highly effective mop skills, and escaped the facility with most of our body parts intact. Although we were all going to need to find new jobs now, and the chance of getting references from our previous employer was looking pretty slim.

Then it was off to the takeaway for dinner, and while we did have an evening game on the schedule, not many people were sticking around and it was ultimately decided to call it. My fellow Concrete Cowncil member, Amy, handed over responsibility for the venue and we closed up, collected our bread, and headed home.

...Bread. Once again the MK Community Fridge found themselves a little over-supplied, this time in the bread department, so quite a few of us ended up going home with a loaf or two. I got a stonebaked white boule and a tiger baguette.

A smaller cow than usual, which I know is partly due to clashing with the Innsmouth Literary Festival, which I would otherwise have been attending, amongst other events. So if you're reading this and know someone who might enjoy Concrete Cow, tell them about us! As I said on Facebook recently, we're small, but perfectly formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment