Thursday 9 January 2020

Imposter Syndrome

I saw this New Gamemaster month thing.

"Ooh," I thought. "That might be useful. Because I'm pretty nervous about actually pitching a long block game at the club and it's bound to have good tips for inexperienced GMs."

At which point I had to have a serious word with myself.

Because I'm not an inexperienced GM.

I've run two campaigns of Scion. I've run two campaigns of Victoriana. I ran games good enough that people were willing to play them again, despite the fact that none of us like the systems for either of them.

I've run a campaign of The Dresden Files when nobody else was willing to take it on, and it was great.

I've run two Pathfinder campaigns. Pathfinder! Sure, I used pre-written stuff for that, but so do loads of people.

I've run a bunch of short and one-off games - Scum and Villainy, Don't Rest Your Head, The Sprawl, Liminal.

I'm not an inexperienced GM. What I am, from the club's point of view, is an unfamiliar GM.

So I need to keep on pitching games. Maybe they won't all run, but people will get to know what I can do.  I'm never going to win over the 'D&D and only D&D' crowd, but that's OK.

This post brought to you by imposter syndrome and a pressing desire to run a Liminal campaign.

1 comment: