Monday 27 January 2020

Ylva Talks to the Fairies, part 12: Giants

It has been nice being back in the forest, even with everything we've had to deal with.

Once Aunold had stopped being a squirrel we had to decide what to do next.  Our own people were safe from the undead threat, but there were still the giants attacking the Blood Druids, the hobgoblins attacking Gallia, the sea devils attacking the port, and of course the White Witch of Gallia and the ongoing threat of the wendigo.

We concluded that while the Blood Druids were our enemy, they were our enemy, and we didn't want them to lose, especially not now that we'd heard that Taint had survived being nailed to a tree and had become their religious leader.

No, I don't know what happened to the tree, but I doubt it came out of the experience intact.

We headed for the giant's camp, and Aunold and me put on our cloaks and flew over to scout.  Quite a lot of them weren't actually giants.  If we called on the remains of our tribe, they would be well able to handle the smaller threats while we took on the leader and his fellow giants.

We began in our usual style, with Aunold and me sending in some fireballs.  I summoned a flytrap to provide Turgut with some melee backup.  And it would have all gone smoothly if the leader hadn't turned out to be some kind of shaman like Aunold.  Fighting someone who couldn't be hurt by spells was quite a challenge.  The invisible wall he put up wasn't helpful either.  All in all it was quite an embarrassing fight.

It would have been more embarrassing if we'd lost, of course.  Once you've won it's much easier to triumphantly appear on top of a hill and declare your magnificent victory.

The White Witch showed up again afterwards, apparently not unhappy with us.  It probably helped that certain people shut up and let me do the talking, of course.  I seem to have a little of the fairy charm that my tribespeople lack.  I still don't really understand what her plan was, and why it involved quite so many armies and manipulating people into fighting them, but she has promised to release her control over Lord Vexil.  Whether that turns out to be a good thing I couldn't start to guess.

Then she turned into a silver dragon, which by this point didn't really surprise me at all.

I think we're going to help the Gallians next.  We have an agreement, after all.

I really hope this isn't what the wendigo wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment