Tuesday 10 August 2021

RPGaDay: Stream

RPGaDAY

It's a different experience, being on a streamed game.

It makes me very aware of what I look like.  For the Coriolis game that I'm currently in, we're not using cameras except for the GM, so that's generally not an issue, but all the other streamed games I've been in have used cameras, and I've made a conscious choice to wear makeup for them which is not somthing I normally do.  Now I'm more used to it (and also have a series of videos on my own YouTube channel where the only makeup I wear is a bit of powder so the light doesn't reflect off my face) I'll probably not bother for future streams unless I'm doing a costume.

Doing a costume is fun.  I've only done it for the Highway of Blood streams, because it seemed like a laugh to wear some 1970s style makeup and accessories for the occasion.  I wouldn't do it for a longer game (and Highway of Blood did go on longer than anticipated) but for a one-off I think it adds something to the experience, hopefully for viewers as well as for me.

Being streamed also adds a bit of pressure to be entertaining.  There's an extra group of people out there besides the gaming group, and they aren't having the fun of actually playing the game.  If I want them to keep watching, then things need to stay interesting.  Fortunately most of my streamed games have been with players where we play to each other's strengths.  I have fond memories of the Mutant: Year Zero game where Pookie and me were interpreting everything through the lens of Lord of the Rings.

I have considered streaming games myself (other than video games, which is a whole different thing) but ultimately it's an extra thing to have to think about on top of actually running the game.  So for now I'll stick to appearing on other people's channels as and when I'm invited.

On which note, if you want someone for a stream, I'm available.  More for one-shots and short games than for long campaigns.  Get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment