Thursday 5 October 2023

Halcyon Calling, Episode 3: Sick Day

When I was being modified in that facility in Wales, I heard them talking about their plan for me, and why they chose a honey badger as the template. They're strong, aggressive, damn near fearless, and able to shrug off attacks that would take down most animals their size. They're also poison resistant, which is why it takes a whole bottle of bourbon for me to get drunk.

You know what they didn't give me though? Disease resistance. I must have picked something up in the hospital because I woke up with a head full of slime. I texted Abeni and she brought me a care parcel with lemsip and orange juice and tissues, which helped a bit. Billy texted me asking me to meet at the Gull but I just sent him a picture of my pile of used tissues. I figured he wanted to make up after storming out but I couldn't face it with a nose like a leaky tap.

Being stuck in bed was the worst though. I had nothing to do except watch TV and that was all Asterion sanctioned programming. Just a bunch of reruns of Star Cop, which would be cringe even if the lead character wasn't a fucking Asterion. In the end I switched it off and tried to think about things instead.

I'm not built for thinking about things, but at some point I had to make a decision about Ariadne and this time punching wasn't going to help. I wanted to tell her where she could shove her offer. Assuming she is a she, because with all the bollocks in the warehouse with bright lights and voice modulation I'm just guessing from the name. And if it was just me I would have done. But it's not just me any more. I have to think about Balae. Ariadne was talking to her too. And maybe she does want help, after what she saw in the hospital. It's not like I can always be there for her. Like today.

So now I just have to shake this thing off. Then I can talk to her properly. I'm not letting Ariadne push me around, but if Balae wants her help, I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment