Tuesday 2 January 2024

Character Creation Challenge 2: Monster of the Week

I play Monster of the Week on Tuesdays at the moment, so let's have one of those.

Sandra Bellows

Playbook: The Spooky

Look: Woman, burning eyes, nerdy clothing.

Charm +2
Cool +0
Sharp -1
Tough -1
Weird +2

Moves

Premonitions: At the start of each mystery, roll +Weird. On a 10+, you get a detailed vision of something bad that is yet to happen. You take +1 forward to prevent it coming true, and mark experience if you stop it. On a 7-9+ you get clouded images of something bad that is yet to happen: mark experience if you stop it. On a miss, you get a vision of something bad happening to you and the Keeper holds 3, to be spent one-for-one as penalties to rolls you make.

The Sight: You can see the invisible, especially spirits and magical influences. You may communicate with (maybe even make deals with) the spirits you see, and they give you more opportunities to spot clues when you investigate a mystery.

The Big Whammy: You can use your powers to kick some ass: roll +Weird instead of +Tough. The attack has 2-harm close obvious ignore-armour. On a miss, you’ll get a magical backlash.

Gear

Shotgun (3-harm close messy)
Big knife (1-harm hand)

The Dark Side

Hallucinations
Pain
Paranoia

Personal

Archaeology's not supposed to be a dangerous profession, despite what happens in certain movies that I'm sure I don't have to name, and for most of my career, my life has been free of giant boulders, Nazis, and suchlike. Most of it.

The dig site was the remains of an old manor house. It had burned down some time in the 16th Century, but the foundations got uncovered during road building, so in we went. There was a whole sub basement still pretty much intact. Incredible stuff! The funny thing is, I don't actually remember what it was I saw in there. I just remember the trip to hospital after they pulled me out of there. I'm not sure I want to remember.

So now I can see things that are invisible, which would be great if I couldn't also see things that just plain aren't there. I can see glimpses of the future, which has given me raging paranoia. And I can hurt people with magic, although there seems to be one of those cosmic balance things going on any time I do.

I've got a whole new profession now. Monster hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment