Friday 6 December 2019

Why not Cyberpunk 2020

I'm hoping to run my cyberpunk one-sho, The Riot Before Christmas, using my Lasers and Feelings hack rather than actual Cyberpunk 2020.  When I mentioned this on Tuesday, someone asked me why I didn't like Cyberpunk 2020 as a system.

There are a number of reasons, but the primary one is combat algebra.

When you play D&D or Pathfinder, combat is pretty simple.
Roll d20, add my attack bonus.  Did I beat the opponent's armour class?  Yes?  Then I hit.
Roll damage, let's say it's d8+2.  I rolled 5 so that's 7 damage.  The opponent takes 7 damage.

In Cyberpunk 2020 however...
Roll d10, add appropriate skill.  Did I hit?
Roll to see where I hit.
OK, the head!  Cool.  Now roll to see if it was the face, because the target is wearing a helmet but not a visor.
Not the face.  OK, now they've got skin weave as well, plus kevlar under the helmet so how much of that stacks?  Right, there's the final armour value of that location.
Roll damage.  Was I using dual purpose bullets?  (When would I ever not be using dual purpose bullets?)  Does my katana have a monoblade?  Was the target wearing metal gear?
Crank everything through the algebraic formula, taking into account multiple variables, to finally arrive at some amount of damage that seems to be entirely unconnected to the initial value.
Roll to see if they're stunned.
Roll to see if they're dead.

I'm told that Friday Night Firefight is one of the most realistic combat systems out there, accurately recreating the level of injuries and fatalities that take place in real gunfights, according to the FBI's own records.  And I'm absolutely looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, where there's a computer that will do all the combat algebra in a matter of microseconds and I can be a transhuman badass carving people up with monobladed power wolvers without having to take a full inventory of everybody's clothing and equipment before the fight.

But when I'm at the table with my dice and character sheet, I don't want combat algebra.  I want to know if I hit, and if so, how much damage I did, and D&D had that nailed down from the start.

This is why I'm keen to see reviews of Carbon 2185.  So far all I've seen is a quick look through someone else's copy, but knowing it's based on the D&D 5e system means that it should have enough crunch to be interesting for my friends who enjoy crunch, enough balance to avoid the min-max issues that plague 2020, and still leave room to tell the kind of stories that I want from a cyberpunk game.  I hope I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment