Friday 20 December 2019

Ylva Talks to the Fairies, part 8: The Heartbreak of Remorhaz

It...wasn't so bad.  I sent a lightning bolt through two hobgoblins and the lesser wendigo. That and Aunold's fireball meant the others had little difficulty taking down the hobgoblins.  Even my little sprite managed to help.  We didn't get the wendigo though.  It disappeared, and Aunold said it ran away.

We're still not sure what to do with the wendigo, but we might be able to transfer some of its power into magic items.  That's what our ancestors were trying to do, but didn't do well enough.  We have to succeed where they failed.

We thought about going to Tonk's home on the Isle of Dreams in the hope of having visions, but that would mean a trip across the sea in treacherous waters, or else a walk across thin ice.  So first we decided to visit Gallia again.

There's so much going on here.  I can hardly take it all in.  There's talk that the warlord is leading an army towards Gallia, which we're sure isn't true.  Lord Vexil is getting married.  There's a plague of the undead.  And the Enchantress had to leave an important meeting because her people were being attacked by a manticore, although now we're actually at the enchantress's house, she says it's not a manticore but a remorhaz.  Both ridiculous looking creatures...yes, I know, you have the back end of a grasshopper, but at least your bum isn't on fire.

I'm sure there's something suspicious going on with the wedding.  It all seems far too complicated.  From what little we know of Lord Vexil, he doesn't seem the type to marry a commoner, so I think his bride is secretly a witch.  Yes, I am a witch.  So I should know.  And doesn't Mittens look lovely in her new hat?

We dealt with the enchantress's ghost problem, although it hurt me badly and nearly killed Turgut.  I was afraid we might have to kill him too, but we finished off the ghosts just in time.  We hoped that we might be able to deal with the remorhaz the same night, but with the state Turgut is in that's not going to happen.  We all need rest.  We'll just have to hope we can find it in the morning with enough time left over to get back into town for the wedding.

Something stinks in this town.  I wish I was back in the Greenwood, but the only way we can keep the Greenwood safe is to stop the wendigo.  And right now it seems the best place we can be is here.  Stay with me, little ones.  The ghost hurt me.  I need to remember my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment