Tuesday 4 August 2020

RPGaDay: Vision

I haven't played much Call of Cthulhu, and when I have it's mostly been one-shots with pre-gens.  This was an exception in that I was making my own character for once.  I made a pathologist, because doctors are fun, and into the mysterious house the three of us went.

How exactly I'd forgotten to put any points into Spot Hidden, I don't know.  Inexperience with the system, I guess.  My other half was playing a detective, and had a good score in it so I wasn't too worried about us missing stuff.  And so it went.  Every clue that could be found, he found and I remained oblivious to.

Again, we were playing Call of Cthulhu.

Whether it was a creepy moving painting, a mysterious shape in the darkness, or a strange noise from outside (I'd also forgotten to put any points in Listen), I remained happily undisturbed as the rest of the party's sanity crumbled around me.  The haunted house threw everything it had at me and I consistently looked the other way.

While I don't recommend playing Captain Oblivious in a Call of Cthulhu game (after all, uncovering clues and solving the mystery while your mind slowly unravels is what the game is all about) it was an entertaining experience and gave us all a good laugh.  And the best horror games I've played are always the ones that give us all a good laugh.

...

The thing about Warhammer games is that even with a very respectable score of let's say 45, you're still going to fail a lot of the time.  However, probability had no meaning aboard the rogue trader ship Statistical Anomaly.

That wasn't its original name.  Captain Tiberious Skarsgard initially named it Enterprise.  It got its new name from the way that despite being a slow ship that was meant to take a long time to get through the warp, it consistently emerged from the warp several days before it left, requiring the crew to keep detailed diaries of their movements to avoid causing a temporal anomaly.  But it could just have easily been based on the way that nobody on that ship, despite extensive training, was capable of using the ship's sensors.

Accordingly, any time we needed to know what was going on outside the ship, we all went and looked out of the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment