Friday 15 November 2019

Ylva Talks to the Fairies, part 4: Homecoming

Yes, little ones, I've come home!

We're moving the tribe.  It's not safe to stay any longer, not with the darkness in the forest.  Vared is accompanying them for the first leg of the journey.

We have a name for the darkness now.  Wendigo.

Shamen Aunold thought we should head closer to the heart of the forest, to see what we can learn and to deal with any hobgoblins we found.  They were not always as they are.  Once they made fetishes to ward off the evil, like the yetis do.  Now they are a part of it.

We camped alongside a group of Ulthani for the first night.  Yes, Mittens!  The holes are important.  Do you want to go accidentally treading in that?  Yes, it is a good point, especially for someone who washes their feet with their tongue.  The morning was strange.  There was music as we awoke - or was that a dream?  Really, Mittens?  Then it can't have been a dream.

People acted strangely.  The Ulthani made a horrible drink with hot water and bitter leaves.  Aunold said very cryptic things to one of them.  His familiar has a new hat.  Yes, Mittens, I'll ask him to make you one too, but I thought you considered clothing to be demeaning?  Well, if you say so.

We found the hobgoblin camp we were looking for.  I summoned a grig to play some lovely music while Tonk played her drums.  It was a lovely party.  Yes, most of them died covered in ice.  Tonk can do that too.  Aunold talked to one of them afterwards, but I don't know what he said.  I don't speak goblin.

While Aunold was doing his ritual I looked after Taint.  He was quite badly hurt, but I found some good leaves to rub him with and he felt much better afterwards.

I was going to treat Turgut next, but then we were attacked by ettercaps.  I know, I don't like them either.  One webbed me and I couldn't run away when it hit me, but then I charmed it and it left me alone.  It was terrible what they did to the others.  I thought they were going to kill Turgut.  But we made it somehow, and then the green lady found us.

Aunold thought she was my sister, but she says she isn't.  I think she's my mother.  Yes, of course I'll ask.  The others were surprised my father didn't tell me anything, but they couldn't know that he never spoke.

I understand now, about the blood of the bear, and the blood of the forest.  Our ancestors made mistakes when they tried to contain the wendigo's power, and created the ghouls.  We have to do better.  All these years people have asked who I am, when they should have asked why.

Yes, Mittens.  Sleep now.  You can keep me warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment