Saturday 19 October 2019

Noghri Death Squad, part 1: Is this some kind of game?

My Thursday group are playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.  It's about as bonkers as our Thursday games normally are...

Honestly, I don't know what the others are complaining about. If they looked after their electronics properly they wouldn't have these problems. I mean, mine works and look what just happened to it! Bunch of technophobe...

...Oh yes, personal log, Zatti.

Having completed a training and assessment exercise, Agent Flamingo has given us our next assignment. And when I say 'assignment', I mean a loosely connected set of different jobs, which all just happen to be on the same planetary system, plus a few extra jobs from various people. What do they think this is, some kind of game?

We contacted the Backstreet Magpies to arrange transfer of our equipment to Rori while we flew in a completely legitimate and non-suspicious way to Naboo.

Job list:
Find out if Queen Stefani's handmaiden Amazonia is still a loyal spy or if she's leaking information.
If she is leaking information, deal with her and frame the Alderan ambassador for it.
Find Gosk, some loser member of our tribe who's failed his mission, and deal with him.
Arrange discreet transport to Rori
Put a stop to Darius Scrive's smuggling operation.
Find a rogue Jedi on Rori.
Foment rebellion on Rori.

Was that all? I think so. I hope so.

We split up to get some of the grunt work done. BS-OJ the diplobot went looking for Amazonia and found she was leaking secrets to the ambassador. Shortly afterwards they both died of poisoning. I was going to try to plant some fake news to make the ambassador look bad, but thanks to some video BS-OJ took, everyone is sufficiently embarrassed already.

We did a bit of shopping, in my case without any transfer of funds being involved, and went after Gosk.

Why this involved crawling down a searing hot ventilation duct I'm not sure, but we successfully got into the prison where he was being held, at the cost of feeling extremely stressed about it. Fortunately there were a lot of blast doors between him and us, and after spending some time hacking the electronic locks I felt a lot better.

I did fail to open the second door, but BS-OJ deployed his fusion cutter and we weren't slowed down for long - just long enough to shoot the guards who found us. Between some more hacking, shooting, stabbing and fusion cutting it wasn't long before we'd retrieved Gosk and were on our way out.

Back to the task list. I was able to tick off several items, which was excellent.

I broke into Darius's house along with Aogrhi, and got shot by a booby-trapped blaster for my trouble. We had a good look around, but unfortunately his datapad turned out to be extremely well protected. Fortunately Aoghri already had plenty of good intel, and after dragging BS-OJ back from another shopping trip to do some negotiation for us, we had transport to Rori arranged on Darius's ship. He was charging far too much, but of course we could always kill or blackmail him later.

We broke atmo on Rori and donned our jetpacks to make our way down to the planet's surface. I was initially descending with the rest of the group in a controlled fashion and on target for the landing zone. And then we hit turbulence.

One moment I was swapping hand signals with the rest of the team as we helped guide each other down. The next I was veering off out of control. Initially I thought I could pull it back together, with some help from the others, but with the descent speed and turbulence getting worse, I ended up losing sight of them and the landing zone entirely.

I've now crashed landed somewhere in the jungles of Rori. I'm in pain, I've no idea where I am, I don't know how to find the rest of the team, and all the gear I've got is what I was carrying during the drop. I don't even know which way to walk to get out of this.

All the same, I've started walking. The team are going to need me back soon. Plus, there might be people in this jungle. I've got a rebellion to foment.

No comments:

Post a Comment